Vanning Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shoutbox
Latest topics
» Show us your Van
Rear drum brakes!! Empty9/2/2016, 1:20 pm by Moorza

» Squaw in the modern age of Vanning
Rear drum brakes!! Empty9/2/2016, 1:15 pm by Moorza

» Fire Truck roof spoiler
Rear drum brakes!! Empty6/11/2014, 10:22 am by VANTOM

» CAR SHOW AT BOWRAL NSW
Rear drum brakes!! Empty25/10/2014, 4:45 am by VANTOM

» A van only magazine needed? Are you interested?
Rear drum brakes!! Empty1/9/2014, 9:31 am by vanner065

» October 19th
Rear drum brakes!! Empty14/8/2014, 3:44 pm by petrolhead

» Fathers Day Hot Rod Show 2014
Rear drum brakes!! Empty13/8/2014, 2:13 pm by petrolhead

» hsv front to a HJ
Rear drum brakes!! Empty26/7/2014, 7:02 am by chrisHQvan

» REGO PLATES
Rear drum brakes!! Empty1/7/2014, 2:18 pm by petrolhead

Affiliates
free forum

Rear drum brakes!!

+7
Pawso1
Shagginwagon82
Ramble
CURSED
mazdragon
Vannin
lozzie
11 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Rear drum brakes!! Empty Rear drum brakes!!

Post by lozzie 5/1/2010, 6:21 pm

Hey guys just another topic onto drum brakes.

My 'soon to be panny' has rear drum brakes and front disc brakes of course. Now I have never driven a car with drum brakes before and I hear they have a slower acting brake power, I am very cautious when it comes to safety and want to make sure I am safe in my new dream ride.

How do I make sure they are in good working condition and not worn out, I dont know much about them but do they have a % rating like discs? I will be asking the guys working on her but sometimes boys will be boys and say yeh she's sweet and not explain in full detail...Hope I dont sound paranoid, but going from a 1995 car with the full works of computers and eco disc/pads and all that stuff just makes me want to know exactly how they work and how do I maintain them for the safety of me and my passengers.

I have always had the feel of ABS so its going to be different ...

Someone please help me in this department...

Im sure you will you guys have been such a great help already for all ideas and tips =)

Lozzzzza Smile

cheers!
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Rear drum brakes!! Empty Re: Rear drum brakes!!

Post by Vannin 6/1/2010, 12:44 am

As long as the brake system is 100% and working as it should...... Drum brakes are fine.

Front Brakes on average do 80% or your braking, with rears doing only 20%.
ABS & 4 wheel disc are nice to have, but not a necessity, although discs on the rear can be added later when you change to a V8.

Important stuff like Brakes etc, I recommend leaving it to the professionals, if your going a full resto, replace with either new or reconditioned, the brake booster, master cylinder, front calipers, new pads, get the discs check for thickness (if they have worn too thin, they are not roadworthy or safe, braking performance will be lower), same with the rear drums, get checked for wear of drum (get machined so they are running true) new brake shoes, wheel cylinders also recommend new brake lines (pipes) a Van of this age, they may be damaged, or even have corrosion blockages inside, as with any rubber lines on the brakes...
Vannin
Vannin

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 6/1/2010, 3:53 am

I spoke to Adam the guy doing it and he said it will be going for a road worthy so they will be checked over for sure! Prob needs new callipers though.. He said he thinks the metal was wearing a bit...Im sure that it wouldnt pass a good road worthy if they were unsafe yeh?!?

wow just way too effing excited.

Im no car expert but im learning new things and picking up ideas and tips from you guys is awesome. I was up too 4am this morning reading on drum breaks how they work , extractors and tq cams as I woudnt mind chucking one on my 202 ... i know i want to save for the 308 but yeh just a cam to give it that extra omph for now would be sweet?
What you reckon

cheeers lozzzza cheers
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon 7/1/2010, 10:49 am

Hi again Lozzie, me did the same thing, went from a VR wagon to WB van with disc front and rear drum. Not really much difference, just remember your gear is older and the van heavier, but all in all, as John said, if everything is set up right, there's really not much difference. I take it a little easier nowadays anyways (even though I'm planning on the to V8 engine swap too). Leave a little more gap to the car in front and beware that it may take just a second or so more to stop. U get used to driving it, especially if you're driving the van every day. Don't panic too much about it all, it won't pass roadworthy if it's not safe, having said that, make sure the roadworthy is from a reputable establishment.... FYI, if you're interested, Southern Street machiners run a Knox Cruise Nite every second Tuesday of the month at the Knox City Shopping Centre, the next one will be on 12/1 I believe. We put our vans on display, you're very welcome to attend and just have a looksy and intro. Not sure who's going. We also have our first VCV meeting (van council of victoria) on 4/2/10 at the Hot Rod rooms in Oakleigh. Drop me a line if you want to come along and I'll fill u in on the details. Ta Maz
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by CURSED 7/1/2010, 11:05 am

drums are fine.....its those stupid sh1ts that sneak up the left side, thats what you gonna get used to Very Happy
CURSED
CURSED

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon 7/1/2010, 11:17 am

that's why in the end i'm glad to have side windows... sure a windowless is a great canvas for murals.... i do envy that... but at least i can see where they're sitting to the left of me on the highway - safety! Oh sh*t i must be getting old!!! Shut up Sam!! Laughing
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Vannin 7/1/2010, 11:20 am

Nothing wrong with windows Maz!!!!!

I got my own special one at Xmas, just for me to cuddle n lick all by myself!!!!!!!!!!!
Vannin
Vannin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7/1/2010, 11:23 am

My windows are tinted and have curtains so i can't see out of them anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 7/1/2010, 11:26 am

Bah you guys are scaring me now!!

Mine is windowless Sad i LOVE windowless and now im worried :/
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Vannin 7/1/2010, 11:29 am

I drive a van, only place I look is where I'm going.......

and at the holdens in the rear view mirror! LOL
Vannin
Vannin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramble 7/1/2010, 11:33 am

Vannin wrote:I drive a van, only place I look is where I'm going.......

and at the holdens in the rear view mirror! LOL

Yeah,,that would be right cause your blockin traffic with another ford broken down in the road. lol! lol!
Ramble
Ramble

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon 7/1/2010, 11:34 am

Nothing to worry about Lozzie, just practice reversing and parking, it'll all be good in no time, so long as you don't already drive by the brail method ....LOL.
and John, the only reason you see Holdens in the rear view mirror is cos we're pushing the Fords along in front of us Laughing Razz
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Vannin 7/1/2010, 11:37 am

I have new found respect for "Mr Bumpy's" Long Run effort.

and to keep you happy, going to inspect a Holden Van tomorrow HX 308 Auto with dual Fuel....... maybe I will own a 2nd Holden Vans.
Vannin
Vannin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7/1/2010, 11:43 am

We all know you'll be honoured to drive a Holden again. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by CURSED 7/1/2010, 12:25 pm

with all the side swiping people you cant see on your left (and i still havent got a passenger mirror Very Happy ) and running up the back of all those ford vans in front who drive slow then suddenly stop, its pretty sweet to drive a van Laughing
CURSED
CURSED

Back to top Go down

Post by Shagginwagon82 8/1/2010, 1:28 am

Gotta have windowless!!
If you're real concerned go and buy one of those little blindspot mirrors to stick on the passanger side mirror.
Or in Sam's case- buy a bloody passanger side mirror!! Ha Ha Ha!!!
Shagginwagon82
Shagginwagon82

Back to top Go down

Post by Pawso1 8/1/2010, 9:42 am

Blindspot mirrors are gold, and don't forget to check for motorbikes too. With brakes, practice makes perfect. Go out in the dry and the wet and practice braking in controlled conditions (a back street at 6am). You'll soon get a feel for the old girl and relise the difference from the Statesman. They lock, they pull, they slide and they don't turn until you take your foot off. Leave a greater gap between you and the car in front...unless your tailgating them because they have a funny bumper sticker written in small writing. You've gotta ride the horse in all terrains to understand where he will slip. Basketball
Pawso1
Pawso1

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 8/1/2010, 9:56 am

You make it sound like its dangerous lol :/ My dad is very concerned for my safety and im an only child so you could imagine how worried he would get haha...

I am a decent driver I am rating one so thats a good start I just know I wont be able to drive the way I did in the stato, not that I was a maniac but the way you can turn in a stato and having all the extra safety features! This panno is going to be my daily drive

Um is it possible to install air bags into the panno..is it expensive?
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pawso1 8/1/2010, 10:18 am

You can do anything if you have enough cash, Airbags, ABS, reversing sensors, all the gear...Me personally I just maintain all the originals to a neat standard. My right foot is my Pano's ABS. Only child..your dad must be proud!! A Pano driving daughter....Wicked
Pawso1
Pawso1

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 8/1/2010, 10:21 am

hahah thats right he is! Him and his mate went around AUSTRALIA in a HJ panno back in the 70s and thats how my mum and dad met. Mum was hitchhiking with her mate along a hwy and dad and his mate drove past in the panno and didnt stop cuz dads mate said it was a blokes road trip lol

Then later on when mum had made it into cairns she saw the panno that slowed down to pick her up but drove off..at the lights and recognosied it and they stopped and talked to her and took her to the pub and the rest is history!! Smile

reason for me always wanting a panno Smile

i just wana be safe without spending a fortune
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pawso1 8/1/2010, 10:34 am

OMG...that is the most awesome Pano/love story ever!. So cool! Panelvans are in my family too. Mum and dad have an old 77 HX Pano with an original faded yellow paint job, their love story continues. Their original drum brakes always stopped them in time but certainly never slowed their dream. I'm so proud of them. Mums a bit of a lead foot though, they got the next one up from the 202, the 253. Mum loves the added power and that note they spit out when attached to a twin exhaust. A seat belt is all the added safety you'll need lozzi, oh and just turn your head quickly if a bug comes through the window at high speed. Wink
Pawso1
Pawso1

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon 8/1/2010, 11:48 am

oh u boys..... don't worry about any of it Lozzie. I used to drive an all drum brake EH. THAT took some getting used to... but with disc front and rear drum, seriously, it's not that bad if set up right. It all just takes practice and you will get used to it in time and you'll wonder why you ever worried..... as we say, take it out and play with it... that's why u've got it - (we mean the van of course!).
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 8/1/2010, 11:54 am

Bahaha yeha true...I think I will be fine. I have driven a gemini before a few yrs back, but thats really the only old car i have driven. Its getting new callipers on the drum breaks anyways. Its only a 202 so I wont be flying around but might put a cam on it, anyone got any good ideas for a cam? tq20 cam, i hear they go alright?

Im just used to all the statos features, but I am looking forward to getting my dream car! I will have it by April so I will most likely be experiencing my first VAN NATS at the island, do they do any comps there like burnout comps and stuff? Or just sit the cars there and show them????
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by CURSED 8/1/2010, 12:34 pm

Shagginwagon82 wrote:Gotta have windowless!!
If you're real concerned go and buy one of those little blindspot mirrors to stick on the passanger side mirror.
Or in Sam's case- buy a bloody passanger side mirror!! Ha Ha Ha!!!
i keep hannah in the passenger seat to stick her head out the window and check for me Embarassed
CURSED
CURSED

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/1/2010, 12:41 pm

lozzie wrote:Im just used to all the statos features

You can still have some in your pano, some of us do....... or am i the only one? Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next