Vanning Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shoutbox
Latest topics
» Show us your Van
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Empty9/2/2016, 1:20 pm by Moorza

» Squaw in the modern age of Vanning
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Empty9/2/2016, 1:15 pm by Moorza

» Fire Truck roof spoiler
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Empty6/11/2014, 10:22 am by VANTOM

» CAR SHOW AT BOWRAL NSW
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Empty25/10/2014, 4:45 am by VANTOM

» A van only magazine needed? Are you interested?
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Empty1/9/2014, 9:31 am by vanner065

» October 19th
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Empty14/8/2014, 3:44 pm by petrolhead

» Fathers Day Hot Rod Show 2014
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Empty13/8/2014, 2:13 pm by petrolhead

» hsv front to a HJ
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Empty26/7/2014, 7:02 am by chrisHQvan

» REGO PLATES
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Empty1/7/2014, 2:18 pm by petrolhead

Affiliates
free forum

Technical Section or How to fix it

+22
DRKNSTRMY
Ben79hz
wizard1
ryno
DD.165
soundman
Moppo
Rusty McCrusty
highwaymenace
pano
shorts
billet
Shagginwagon82
alien8
Big Bunny
mazdragon
Tweaker
CURSED
Mexican
catbug
Admin
shaginwagin
26 posters

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Section or How to fix it

Post by Tweaker 27/10/2008, 8:05 am

I may have found the information I was seeking!

From my understanding, the charcol canister stores any gases vented from the tank due to being parked in the sun or whatever. And then releases these gases into the carby on startup. And the cap must therefore be sealed (non vented) to prevent the gases exhiting anyway otherway than via the canister.

Can someone either confirm or correct this for me?

My reason for all this is my Bedford has been fitted with an XC GXL fuel cap and the tank only has a return hose to allow the air to escape during tank filling. My cap doesn't seal due to a stuff with the body mods to fit the cap. My concern is that I'm looking at getting this fixed and need advice on fuel tank venting. One option I'm looking at is cutting the return line and adding an inline vent valve that exits under the car instead of returning into the filler neck? Or am I going to have to drill a hole into the top of tank and add another vent line?
Tweaker
Tweaker

Back to top Go down

Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Empty Re: Technical Section or How to fix it

Post by Tweaker 29/10/2008, 12:51 pm

Replying to my own post again here.

The latest is I've found myself new after market venting full cap, which will allow me to replace the non sealing XC GXL cap currently fiited, while also avoiding tank equilization issues.

Later down the track I will replace the venting cap with a sealed one and tap another hole into the top of the tank and fit a vent valve as this is the prefered option.

I hope this post can help somebody else from making a mistake whwn modifying their full cap.

Note that is only really an issue with pre 1976 cars or pre ADR 27A compliance.

Peace!
Tweaker
Tweaker

Back to top Go down

Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Empty starter motor

Post by shaginwagin 30/10/2008, 8:06 am

Hi one and all, had the beddie starter motor overhauled all the new bits. Also had the alternator overhauled (alt light staying on). Still intermittent starting. jiggled the wires in the steering col, started. So I,m going to check the wires to the ignition switch and down to the fuse box. (probably should have done that to start with Embarassed ) Thanks for the advise given, much appreciated. At least I wont have to rebuild the starter and alt when we rebuild the motor next year.
Julian
shaginwagin
shaginwagin

Back to top Go down

Post by alien8 30/10/2008, 9:04 am

Another problem I have is that ALIEN8 likes to have her left hand indicator on Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation doesnt cancel out when completing a left turn and comes on by itself Rolling Eyes also the right hand indicator turns the radio off when you use it Exclamation Exclamation again very testy at times. But Julian is having a look at it for me, but suggestions are always welcome study scratch
alien8
alien8

Back to top Go down

Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Empty Bubble window polish

Post by alien8 30/10/2008, 9:21 am

I have been informed that if you cut and polish bubble windows they come up like new ??????? Has anyone tried, as mine are looking sad and scratched at the moment, Any thoughts would be welcomed Very Happy
alien8
alien8

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon 30/10/2008, 12:07 pm

alien8 wrote:Another problem I have is that ALIEN8 likes to have her left hand indicator on Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation doesnt cancel out when completing a left turn and comes on by itself Rolling Eyes also the right hand indicator turns the radio off when you use it Exclamation Exclamation again very testy at times. But Julian is having a look at it for me, but suggestions are always welcome study scratch

you know, it's the qirkyness of our older vehicles that give them their personalities as opposed to a lot of the modern stuff that's around. I kinda like my quirky cars... i can relate since i'm a little quirky tooo! so why complain when the right hand indicator turns off the radio? why complain when the left hand indicator won't cancel, at least driving around isn't boring..... it makes you an indi-bl***dy-vidual and that's what sets us apart from the sheep (except in NZ!). Laughing Laughing Twisted Evil
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tweaker 30/10/2008, 12:30 pm

When you favorite song is on make sure you just make left hand turns. You'll get there eventually, unless of cause you just go around in a cirlce! scratch
Tweaker
Tweaker

Back to top Go down

Post by soundman 2/11/2008, 12:52 pm

bugger. my disengaing mechanism for the indicators fragged out today. at least my lights stay on... guess the longewr you own something the older it gets. don't know about quirky though. just frustrating.
soundman
soundman

Back to top Go down

Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Empty Upper tailgate seal

Post by mazdragon 3/11/2008, 2:45 am

I'm in the process of replacing the seals for the lower and upper tailgate. Done the lower, that was really easy. But, I have a question before i remove the old upper gate seal: on the bottom of the gate, there are no pins/pin holes. The old one seems to just slot in, however, there's a fair bit of gunk in there and i'm wondering whether the gunk is old glue. Do I need to glue the bottom side of the seal to the upper tailgate? or does it just slot in?
thanks
M
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon 3/11/2008, 3:02 am

Thought i'd make a couple of photos so you know what i'm talking about
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Upper_12

Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Upper_13

This is the bottom one, easy to intall and a very good fit.
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 4 Lower_10
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by highwaymenace 3/11/2008, 4:14 am

Use contact adhesive same as what your using to stik you solo into the van.. job done.

Daz
highwaymenace
highwaymenace

http://www.highwaymenace.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon 3/11/2008, 10:18 am

ta Daz. shall do. Figured it must be glued, but just wanted to make sure, i've never done stuff like this by myself before.
BTW, hven't even started on the roof yet. But i've started on the spare wheel cover and i think it's gonna be good... maybe my goal is wheel cover by state titles and roof by nationals.... i should hopefully be able to manage that.
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon 4/11/2008, 12:45 pm

bought the glue, did do and it's done. Looks ok (for a rubber seal hehehehe). Now I have to use a little more force to shut the gates, obviously the old rubbers were quite compressed. Figured the new seals'll settle down eventually.
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by highwaymenace 4/11/2008, 1:01 pm

to make them softer and seal better give them a run over with armaol ( how ever you spell it.) makes them last longer and keeps the soft and fllexible so they get in to all nooks & cranny's
highwaymenace
highwaymenace

http://www.highwaymenace.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alien8 5/11/2008, 10:52 am

alien8 wrote:I have been informed that if you cut and polish bubble windows they come up like new ??????? Has anyone tried, as mine are looking sad and scratched at the moment, Any thoughts would be welcomed Very Happy

Thanks Sam for all your help. Will sus it out Suspect
alien8
alien8

Back to top Go down

Post by DD.165 10/11/2008, 9:33 am

mazdragon wrote:
mazdragon wrote:I've a blank canvas in Beigy, there's no interior apart from the mattress and curtains i have already set up. I'd like to line the roof and have chatted with Phil already about how to go about it and so have been given the general gist of what's required. Now i need to ask the tedious questions of how do you make the ply stay up there? i.e. it sits in the inside "gutters" (for lack of a better description), do i need to glue it in as well? also, i'd like to pad the roof under the fabric i'm going to line it with on the ply that goes in the roof, what's the best glue (?) to use? I've googled van+interiors and how to's, but apart from Black Eagle, there doesn't seem to be any other info. Does anyone know of a good book to reference? Any ideas would be appreciated. And BTW, i'd queried the speedo problems of being wonky on the SXV Forum, but since it's down, i'll let you know here that it was the header in the speedo that was worn, which is why the needle bounced around and the reading was incorrect. It's been fixed and apart from bouncing a little up to 30km, it's steady and accurate now.

Hello,
Any chance someone can provide some advice on the interior questions i had?
thanks to anyone who's listening.
I'M possibly a bit late in replying but ive found that 3M make a pressure pack glue that i have never had a problem with. it shouldent at about $28 a can. I use it all the time for hoodlinings ect. It is also the glue that trimming places use.It is also available in 4 ltr tins to use in a spray gun Smile
DD.165
DD.165

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon 10/11/2008, 9:46 am

Thanks DD. I haven't started on the roof yet, other things have cropped up in the meantime. I think i've got some of that 3M spray glue, so i may use it for that.
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by DD.165 10/11/2008, 9:52 am

No worries. Smile names Dale, anything ive glued with it has stayed that way cheers
DD.165
DD.165

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon 10/11/2008, 9:55 am

Thanks Dale. Laughing Name's Marion.
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by DD.165 10/11/2008, 10:25 am

Is There a planet really in your den?? Laughing
DD.165
DD.165

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon 10/11/2008, 10:29 am

i think you're misreading it.... somewhere on this planet, i am in my den.... i.e, my den is somewhere on this planet.... oh, have a few drinks, it'll make sense then....... cyclops Laughing Laughing Laughing
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by DD.165 10/11/2008, 10:31 am

Sorry lol! lol! lol! I think that is WHY i read it wrong lol! lol! lol!
DD.165
DD.165

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/11/2008, 10:51 am

So by the sound of it you might fit in at the Van Nats Dale. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by DD.165 10/11/2008, 10:58 am

I have 2 hobbies: MY VAN and DRINKING Laughing But I don't drink Drive as it is a laundry detergent like OMO lol! lol! lol!
DD.165
DD.165

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/11/2008, 11:32 am

Can't say i've ever tried OMO.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum