Vanning Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shoutbox
Latest topics
» Show us your Van
rolled guards Empty9/2/2016, 1:20 pm by Moorza

» Squaw in the modern age of Vanning
rolled guards Empty9/2/2016, 1:15 pm by Moorza

» Fire Truck roof spoiler
rolled guards Empty6/11/2014, 10:22 am by VANTOM

» CAR SHOW AT BOWRAL NSW
rolled guards Empty25/10/2014, 4:45 am by VANTOM

» A van only magazine needed? Are you interested?
rolled guards Empty1/9/2014, 9:31 am by vanner065

» October 19th
rolled guards Empty14/8/2014, 3:44 pm by petrolhead

» Fathers Day Hot Rod Show 2014
rolled guards Empty13/8/2014, 2:13 pm by petrolhead

» hsv front to a HJ
rolled guards Empty26/7/2014, 7:02 am by chrisHQvan

» REGO PLATES
rolled guards Empty1/7/2014, 2:18 pm by petrolhead

Affiliates
free forum

rolled guards

2 posters

Go down

rolled guards Empty rolled guards

Post by pano 2/3/2010, 9:33 am

hey just looking for pics of rolled rear guards on a hq-wb ute or van as im going to be doing it on both my vans and just wanna know what it looks like. and if most people roll the hole inner flange or just the top of the flange and have it twist back to normal on the sides ?? if that makes sence Suspect
pano
pano

Back to top Go down

rolled guards Empty Re: rolled guards

Post by Guest 7/3/2010, 2:19 am

Are you talking about rolling the lip of the guard or pumping the guard?

If you want to roll the lip of the guard then just do the area the tyre may contact, which is normally the top 12 inches. Doing this will make the lipped area more prone to rusting over a period of time because the dirt and debris will sit there and collect water. Hose that area out on a regular basis to clear it.

The old school was of doing this was to get a section of 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe and put it between the tyre and the guard lip. As your mate pushes the car back and forward the pipe rolls over the tyre and pushes the lip up. If you need the lip up further, get one of your larger mates to sit on the tail gate while performing the operation.

Back to top Go down

Post by free_styler1 7/3/2010, 4:24 am

That does sound old school....

Sounds alot like RAG panelbeating (rough-as-guts)

Cheers Al alien alien alien alien
free_styler1
free_styler1

Back to top Go down

Post by pano 7/3/2010, 7:21 am

yer i was talking about rolling em iv dun it a few times on mates cars with a pipe while pushing it back and forth and getin more people in the car as u go to get it to roll all the way around . and as for the lip rusting out we put sealer in the gap and stone guarded over the top and that seemed to work well! but its just i dont think iv ever seen a hq wb ute van with it so i just wanted to see some pics to get an idea what would look better Neutral fully rolled or as u said roll only whats needed
pano
pano

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7/3/2010, 2:33 pm

RAG engineering was the kick off point for most of us into cars. Some of the things we did was questionable and a little agricultural...but it worked, long enough to be seen as cool at least once Smile

Now we have purpose built guard rollers. Most lips are rolled around the top section only, and it looks very average if it's rolled all the way around.

My advise is just to do the area thats needed. I spent a few hours fixing the hg monaro that had the guards rolled all the way around.....not a fun job at all when you have to get it looking factory again.

This is the right hand rear of the hg coupe and you can see the damage thats been done by hammering the lip up.
rolled guards Picture_017_detail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down