Vanning Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shoutbox
Latest topics
» Show us your Van
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 Empty9/2/2016, 1:20 pm by Moorza

» Squaw in the modern age of Vanning
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 Empty9/2/2016, 1:15 pm by Moorza

» Fire Truck roof spoiler
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 Empty6/11/2014, 10:22 am by VANTOM

» CAR SHOW AT BOWRAL NSW
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 Empty25/10/2014, 4:45 am by VANTOM

» A van only magazine needed? Are you interested?
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 Empty1/9/2014, 9:31 am by vanner065

» October 19th
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 Empty14/8/2014, 3:44 pm by petrolhead

» Fathers Day Hot Rod Show 2014
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 Empty13/8/2014, 2:13 pm by petrolhead

» hsv front to a HJ
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 Empty26/7/2014, 7:02 am by chrisHQvan

» REGO PLATES
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 Empty1/7/2014, 2:18 pm by petrolhead

Affiliates
free forum

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE!

+8
alien8
mazdragon
Shagginwagon82
pano
Odd_One_Out
Vannin
highwaymenace
lozzie
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 Empty Re: Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE!

Post by mazdragon 5/1/2010, 12:06 pm

Hi Lozzie, i have a wb with a 202, 3 on the tree. All original but have put it on gas. Does go well (when it ain't pinging) - had some dud mechanic work on it and stuffed it... anyways, that's by the by. My suggestion: keep your money for your eight. That's what I'm doing too, some time this year mine will become an 8 with 4 or 5 on the floor. Been driving him with a 6 for the last couple of years and waiting patiently. I could spend more money on my 6, but like u, my heart is set on an 8. I like the rythmic sound of the 8 as well, that's why I'm being patient. Re colour coding - suggest you have a look at pics on this forum of what others have done to give u ideas, another option is the mags etc. Another option is go to google images, type in panel vans and you'll get a heap too. In all honesty, how u paint and decorate the exterior and interior of YOUR van is entirely YOUR choice, if you like the purple with colour coded bumpers, then do that. If you want heaps of black on the inside, then do that too. How we do our vans or street machines is really an expression of you, what you like. Get your ideas from others, then assemble (and later disassemble Laughing Laughing ) to suit yourself. You can always change later what you don't end up liking. Mine is going a grey on the interior which gives me a plain canvas to add colour to, like lighting and curtains and other bitsnpieces. Hope my 2 cents worth helps. Good luck and we look forward to seeing the van at the Easter Van Nationals in Philip Island this year? Entry forms are also on this forum. If you want more info let us know. thanks Maz
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 Empty Re: Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE!

Post by Guest 5/1/2010, 12:24 pm

This is the one i was talking about.
It's name is Dominate.

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 Domina10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/1/2010, 12:30 pm

i know the white van beside it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/1/2010, 12:34 pm

Well you'd have some great pics then?? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/1/2010, 12:42 pm

you just can see the dump pipes out the back

Back to top Go down

Post by alien8 5/1/2010, 12:53 pm

lozzie wrote:Sweet thanks guys for all your input. its just a little hard for me because im so overwhelmed with the fact i am getting a custom painted van with the little extras i want its rad as...Its all new too me as I have never owned an older car, I have only ever had the VS statesman..6 yrs it did me well and i will be so sad to see her go, but i have something bigger and better waiting for me to give some TLC...

Yes i would LOVE to see this shadow chrome and also if you have any photos of bumpers painted same as car with a colour insert please post here as I have to let my mate know soon so he knows what to do when it comes to painting it.

I like the idea of the gts guards but at the moment i will wait i just want to get the basic body for my girl that i am after and all your ideas and input is helping alot...

The purple is a deep purple with alot of sparkle to it, it has shimmers of red and blue in it in the sun as we sprayed samples to see what i liked...I know you guys prob not into that but i am a chick and purple is my fav colour lol and i reckon it will suit me and my personality.

I hope to get some more feedback as im really enjoying it

I want to make the right choice

cheeers

Ahah yeh I dont know any chicks that drive a panel van, not girlie enough for them i suppose ahha

this is close to the colour but i think mine is a little deeper with more shine through it x

[img]Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 UMB8011[/img]

Hi Lozzie., There are a few of us about (girl vanners) and my favourite colour is purple as well.......Cant wait to see the finished paint...Keep at it
alien8
alien8

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 5/1/2010, 1:44 pm

Agro do you have any front photos of this van?? Its very very nice....I want to see the work from the front Smile

Is a bench seat upholstered in black leather and black satin paint on dash too much with black carpet..

Dude im going mental trying to figure out what I wanna do...I know its an expression of my personallity and shes my van but hey the guys that were doing it in the first place to sell it had already organised the full black interior... ?

I dont mind black but what can i DO to break it up!?

Hey nice to see another chick with a van, pitty your in brissy ... As I would LOVE to come to the van nats at phillip island, the place is only 45 mins drive from me Smile))) HANDY! Smile
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Vannin 5/1/2010, 1:55 pm

There is plenty of Van chick's in Melbourne, your not alone......

If your on Facebook check:
Panelvan Chicks Downunder.
Vannin
Vannin

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 5/1/2010, 2:11 pm

Ah sweet thanks bud, not many members but not too worry Smile

Im just really loving all the ideas and input, ive never really personalised my own car except for the rims and the sticker and exhust on my statesman at the moment !! Im sooo effing excited about the whole deal...

So what do you guys think about the black interior thing? Also agro got a pic of the front of that van?

Also I know im set on a 308 but I would like to do something to my 202 now though, im eager!!!!

I get my panno in about 3 months or so I think, but i HAVE to get my statesman on the market asap and I just need to fix two things on her other than that my statesman is in great condition with always full services, rebuild of transmission, new motor v6 only done 160,000 ks by me etc ... ill stop going on but yeh

Some ideasss im such a fkn hassler now but hey im pretty excited about it
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 5/1/2010, 2:13 pm

Here you go Lozzie.
Pic's courtesy of Flash Harry's site.

http://panelvansofoz1.multiply.com/photos/album/238/Dominator#

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 Domina11

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 Domina12

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 5/1/2010, 2:25 pm

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 IMG_0633

So this is my van in the shop...But I swear its a HJ .... this may be dumb but I have only seen her in this state and its covered cuz of being blasted and going to the oven soon once the guards have been painted with this rubber protectant so they dont rust..
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shagginwagon82 5/1/2010, 2:27 pm

Try and sneak a peek at the compliance plates.
Shagginwagon82
Shagginwagon82

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 5/1/2010, 3:32 pm

Yep I will do that!!

So...Just some MORE questions ..

I have checked this car with the bf and we think its a FANTASTIC buy, I wont find one this straight with the work its had to rebuild it for this price. Plus getting a $9k paint job on her.

Its my dream.

Ok, so its my mates boss whos selling it to me, he needs to buy a new spray booth for his business. (good guy to know i suppose lol) He said its had one owner before him and he had it for 7 yrs, it sat for a little bit until he decided to re build and sell up. He has just bought himself a HQ station wagon so no longer needs the van and because he needs the booth.

Anyway to the point....

So far I have been told and shown whats been done, I have been told re-build of the 202 motor, brand new head gaskets, extractors, drum breaks on rear and discs/pads on front, brand new stainless steal gas tank, replaced windscreen on front, guards and doors inside have been coated with some sort of rubber paint that apparently gives longativity to the body due to keeping any rust from apearing for years to come, new metal plates on the floor of the van, soda blastered and minimal rust removed, all gutters and seals sanded and have some special silicon stuff to stop ANY water entering the van body...Um thats all i can think of at the moment, mind you im not a car expert and this is the first time to own an older classic car! So I just wanted your opinions yet AGAIN.... hope you dont mind Laughing

Im sourcing photos of other vans to get ideas on what i EXACTLY want but i AM also a TEENY WEENY bit worried about the specifications of the car and how they work and so on....but one thing, I will be SO happy to own my dream car, customised and WITHOUT a COMPUTER in it lol

Looking forward to hearing from you allllllll

Smile LOZZZZZA soon to be a proud van owner !
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shagginwagon82 6/1/2010, 3:20 am

Rest Assured Lozza, the van is a fantastic buy!!! If the van landed on here at that price, we'd be running with wads of cash in hand!!!
You have a perfect, windowless, resprayed. rust proofed shell even without the rest it was worth the money.
Can't wait to see this van on the road...

Keep us updated mate.
Shagginwagon82
Shagginwagon82

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 6/1/2010, 3:49 am

Shagginwagon, thanks bud yeh I know its a good buy hey, nice looking van I think, its getting the primer done as we speak and going into the uphostry ppls on the 13 jan i really excited. Im going to see her today at the factory and I have decided that the front bumper is going purple to match the car with a black insert and so is the back small bumps but the window trims and door handles key holes are staying chrome and being polished so I hope she looks nice!!!

I will be getting a mural on the back tail gate wait to you guys see it!! My mate who works for the dude whos selling me the panno does air brushing and stuff so he is doing it for me its a wicked idea and the personality fits me to a T Smile

Agh its so fun having her done up the way I want her I just have all these other ideas flowing through my head that I want to do but as some of you say, you have the ace paint job the re built motor new parts a road worthy and rego and have her on the road and THEN i should think about doing her up slowly which is what I am planning to do...

She is going to be my daily drive but Id love to show her but Id be WAYYYY behind some of your pannos and she is pretty stock standard but going to look unreal, the motor and heads are all being repainted in that red/orange so under the hood she will look smick as!!!

Smile)) I have some names for her too but very hard to decide hey!!!

xo lozzzzaaaa peace out
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Vannin 6/1/2010, 6:57 am

This is the guy doing my Murals........

http://www.jabairbrushing.com/index.html
Vannin
Vannin

Back to top Go down

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 Empty progress :)))

Post by lozzie 7/1/2010, 1:53 am

Some more photos...interesting to me not sure about you guys lol xx

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 IMG_0646

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 IMG_0647

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 IMG_0648

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 IMG_0649

Progress...Getting engine bay painted new few days, paint job sometime next week and brand new leather interior and carpeted, full black Smile
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7/1/2010, 8:56 am

i hope there going to take the plenum grill , door strikers and things like that off before they paint it for you
if you have a look at
https://vanners.forumotion.com/your-ride-f5/my-van-has-some-colour-t300.htm
you will see i had a lot of things zinc plated like factory, cheaper then chrome and looks good
steve

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 7/1/2010, 9:16 am

Ok so this is my first time having a customised rebuild of a car, and its my dream panel van.

The chrome has already been sanded back ready for painting...I asked for the door handles, mirrors, window trims and grill to be black...was this a bad idea? So whats the cost of plating then? Please let me know what you think?
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7/1/2010, 9:32 am

i mean the grill in front of the windscreen should be removed the latches inside the doors etc as if not clean or masked properly you will get dust and shit in paint
the stuff you have said is right about sanding crome of to paint
i just mean the door catches, bonnet hinges and things like that you could get plated as i got every nut bolt,door catches, bonnet hinges, bonnet catch
all the tailgate mech and rods done for $130
steve

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 7/1/2010, 9:52 am

I hope she looks alright when she is done with the paint job *my van im speaking of* you dont think satin 2 pac black paint is a bad idea do you?

Argh yeh sweet sounds alright and have you got any photos of your finished product at all?

Do you think my panno is alright? Im pretty excited to be getting her!!!
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 7/1/2010, 10:00 am

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! - Page 2 14655_328344500724_599430724_100129

This is my stato I am selling love her and going to miss her!! But bigger and better is on the way =)
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 7/1/2010, 10:07 am

i like the satin back outs
i had a white windowless hx sandman it had white bars, door handles and black outs around the windows and windscreen
i have not fineshed mine yet will get some recent pics up soon
the only person that matters if your van will look good is you
you have to like it dont worry if other people like it or not
were abouts are you

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 7/1/2010, 10:21 am

Im in Victoria Smile

Yeh I really hope she looks good, I have the picture in my head I just hope she turns out the way I can see it Smile Im sure it will hey

Well looking forward to seeing some photos then!

My van is going metallic purple but has a fair bit of metallic in it its like a deep purple with blues and red through it, fully customised for me Smile)

I have plenty of ideas but as most ppl on this site said, get her up and running, clean, painted and on the road first then I will start
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pawso1 7/1/2010, 10:29 am

Sometimes by not making the wrong decision is making the right one, owning a classic car is a continuum. Watch Eric Bana's "Love the beast". Same car same dream, different paint and themes. It took me years and years to work out what my Panelvans had been, and where i want them to go. Now its clear...being true to the history of it and restoring it and honouring the model it is. The HJ was a great car, you'll love the piece of Aussie history you'll feel when you pull up at the lights. Its only my opinion which you asked for, but avoiding modern low profile wheels is my only "please no" mercy call. My main point here is to get to know the van scene first before you go down the design road of something new, which it seems your certainly doing by being on here. I take my hat off to you.
All the best.
Pawso1
Pawso1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next