Vanning Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shoutbox
Latest topics
» Show us your Van
At what point does your van become a  "custom" van? Empty9/2/2016, 1:20 pm by Moorza

» Squaw in the modern age of Vanning
At what point does your van become a  "custom" van? Empty9/2/2016, 1:15 pm by Moorza

» Fire Truck roof spoiler
At what point does your van become a  "custom" van? Empty6/11/2014, 10:22 am by VANTOM

» CAR SHOW AT BOWRAL NSW
At what point does your van become a  "custom" van? Empty25/10/2014, 4:45 am by VANTOM

» A van only magazine needed? Are you interested?
At what point does your van become a  "custom" van? Empty1/9/2014, 9:31 am by vanner065

» October 19th
At what point does your van become a  "custom" van? Empty14/8/2014, 3:44 pm by petrolhead

» Fathers Day Hot Rod Show 2014
At what point does your van become a  "custom" van? Empty13/8/2014, 2:13 pm by petrolhead

» hsv front to a HJ
At what point does your van become a  "custom" van? Empty26/7/2014, 7:02 am by chrisHQvan

» REGO PLATES
At what point does your van become a  "custom" van? Empty1/7/2014, 2:18 pm by petrolhead

Affiliates
free forum

At what point does your van become a "custom" van?

+3
mazdragon
Vannin
highwaymenace
7 posters

Go down

At what point does your van become a  "custom" van? Empty At what point does your van become a "custom" van?

Post by Guest 6/9/2009, 12:01 pm

I asked this question on Facebook but i thought i'd post it here in more detail.

What determines the difference between an ordinary van, a "custom" van and what is the crossover point to becoming a "supervan"?

The reason i ask this is after reading a letter sent to CV&T in regards to Sheer Heart Attack (S.H.A.), the owner of Fire Truck commented that S.H.A didn't deserve to be in the "Supervan" catagory as it wasn't modified like it was claimed.
As well as i have noticed that some of the "Custom" vans looked like that they had only a nosecone change.

So could someone please clarify these issues?

Thanks

Back to top Go down

At what point does your van become a  "custom" van? Empty Re: At what point does your van become a "custom" van?

Post by highwaymenace 6/9/2009, 1:50 pm

this can re-open the can of worms Agro....
highwaymenace
highwaymenace

http://www.highwaymenace.com

Back to top Go down

At what point does your van become a  "custom" van? Empty Re: At what point does your van become a "custom" van?

Post by Vannin 6/9/2009, 2:29 pm

I take custom to be any modification to standard or normal....

Outside my van is standard with custom rear interior.....

So I consider it a"custom" of sorts.

Supervan I consider everything has been modified in some way.
Vannin
Vannin

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon 7/9/2009, 5:34 am

highwaymenace wrote:this can re-open the can of worms Agro....

Agro likes "worms" Laughing Laughing

in answer however, a custom van is a van that has been modified, i.e. customised to distinguish it from the "norm". Having said that the customisation would not just be little bits'n'pieces, but a removal from standard. Supervan? i guess that fits into the category of hypermarkets, super-models etc etc.... to me, a hyped up name to name a custom van that has been customised to the extreme... still a custom van though.... probably a derivative given by someone who's put a lot of work in and wants to be distinguished from others that have put a lot of work in too... supermodels put a lot of work into binging and barfing too. LOL
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by highwaymenace 7/9/2009, 5:45 am

my opion only: restored or in orignal condition to me is what the class would be. custom: non standard paint, non standard interior, some body changes even later or earlyier model than the van year of birth, modified exhasust/ suspention ( spelling) non standard detailed and or modified engine ( min of 2 of these would be enough to class it as custom... as for SUPERVAN well done to the MAX or done to perfection
highwaymenace
highwaymenace

Back to top Go down

Post by M&M 7/9/2009, 12:16 pm

Good question Agro. Based on the original discussion there were claims SHA was widened and lengthened. In reality the LTD front made it longer (as is James' Van Bad Company) and widened, hey a set of flares makes the van wider. If in fact it had been split in 2 and a section added it would have been a major mod. Adding length is easy as anyone who has seen the Japanese Van web sites would agree.
The original question is multiple questions in one. When does a Van bacome custom, talk to any insurance company. When it is personalised, e.g a set of wheels is custom.
When does it become a Supervan, this is a whole other issue. The "SuperVans" of the past were show vans that had won big events and were usually custom to the point of having lots of bolt on stuff. Back in the days when you got points for having stuff, flares 1 point, archway 1 point, wheels 1 point, fish tank 1 point, roof racks 1 point, roof spoiler 1 point. hence the amount of mods indicated the number of points.
The Vans of today, while not as obviously modified are generally of a much better quality than those of the past, however not sure when it becomes a Supervan. Smooth 74 & the Rowley's XC Vans should class as Supervans having won multiple Nats in a row?? What about Proc's J which has been in the top few for many many years? however all 3 have subtle or no body mods?? I have seen a lot of heavily modified Vans where the work is crap but they turn heads driving down the road more than thoses that have won at the Nationals. Take the 502 Sandman from SA, Awsome Van, but fairly mild body. In my opinion still right up there in the Supervan category as it is an extremely well built vehicle???
Vans of the past like West Point had great detail work, but only on the bits on show, e.g detailed brakes on one side left the other stock cause only showed the good side. Modern vans have to be the complete package and are generally much higher quality than Supervans of the past.
M&M
M&M

Back to top Go down

Post by SWAY 8/9/2009, 4:10 am

well this is a big big can of worms!!

i go a long with M & M some standed machines can be in super class or the ultament class.
1 ute comes to mined is Lippys corral hq ute all standed bar the seats, but straight extremely clean, well painted, not much chrome but lots of detail this was 1 of the best cars around for 4 to 5 years, summernat grand champ & top show car at many, many shows. this is a ute that i would love to make a van not hard but lots of work. that is a super show car & street driven every were, BUT IT IS STANDED so what else makes the cut???
SWAY
SWAY

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk 8/9/2009, 9:24 am

Now Agro l will explain this to you oh so very simple

your van becomes Custom Very Happy when you put your 1st chic in the back lol!
Monk
Monk

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/campwin_cars/

Back to top Go down

Post by vanner065 8/9/2009, 10:24 am

Trust you Monk, man yours would of been so custom in that case back in its day but now it has returned back to its original virginal self as it has not seen action for 20 odd years. lol cheers
vanner065
vanner065
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/9/2009, 12:40 pm

Thanks for the comments. Very Happy and i'm not trying to open a can of worms. silent

O.K. mine has front and rear spoilers, bonnet scoop and minor stuff done to the inside, but i would have thought it would take heaps more to do to reach "Custom" van status.(eg murals etc)

Back to top Go down

Post by highwaymenace 8/9/2009, 1:22 pm

its not standard now so its custom,,,, full stop.
highwaymenace
highwaymenace

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8/9/2009, 1:37 pm

Thanks Daz Very Happy .

Back to top Go down

Post by Vannin 8/9/2009, 2:25 pm

That's the way I see's it too........
Vannin
Vannin

Back to top Go down

Post by Monk 24/9/2009, 4:00 am

vanner065 wrote:Trust you Monk, man yours would of been so custom in that case back in its day but now it has returned back to its original virginal self as it has not seen action for 20 odd years. lol cheers

hahaah James can tell you mate it has been used over them years beleive me Very Happy it dont have to move to be used rendeer
Monk
Monk

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/campwin_cars/

Back to top Go down

Post by SWAY 24/9/2009, 5:36 am

Monk wrote:
vanner065 wrote:Trust you Monk, man yours would of been so custom in that case back in its day but now it has returned back to its original virginal self as it has not seen action for 20 odd years. lol At what point does your van become a  "custom" van? Icon_cheers

hahaah James can tell you mate it has been used over them years beleive me At what point does your van become a  "custom" van? Icon_biggrin it dont have to move to be used At what point does your van become a  "custom" van? Icon_rendeer

I agree Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
SWAY
SWAY

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down