Vanning Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shoutbox
Latest topics
» Show us your Van
Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds).. Empty9/2/2016, 1:20 pm by Moorza

» Squaw in the modern age of Vanning
Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds).. Empty9/2/2016, 1:15 pm by Moorza

» Fire Truck roof spoiler
Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds).. Empty6/11/2014, 10:22 am by VANTOM

» CAR SHOW AT BOWRAL NSW
Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds).. Empty25/10/2014, 4:45 am by VANTOM

» A van only magazine needed? Are you interested?
Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds).. Empty1/9/2014, 9:31 am by vanner065

» October 19th
Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds).. Empty14/8/2014, 3:44 pm by petrolhead

» Fathers Day Hot Rod Show 2014
Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds).. Empty13/8/2014, 2:13 pm by petrolhead

» hsv front to a HJ
Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds).. Empty26/7/2014, 7:02 am by chrisHQvan

» REGO PLATES
Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds).. Empty1/7/2014, 2:18 pm by petrolhead

Affiliates
free forum

Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds)..

3 posters

Go down

Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds).. Empty Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds)..

Post by Odd_One_Out 2/2/2010, 10:17 am

I got some peeling paint from my upper windscreen surrounds...

Was sanded back with 400 then primered before Satin Black (having the same probs with my door handles)...

My mechanic said the only way is to get them sand-blasted.

Any tips from you guys?

Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds).. Moreshit245
Odd_One_Out
Odd_One_Out

Back to top Go down

Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds).. Empty Re: Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds)..

Post by Guest 2/2/2010, 10:42 am

i rubbed mine back and got them powder coated. most places need cover both sides to make it last. but getting them back on is the real fun part. instead of your hand to bang them back on the clips. you need a small soft rubber hammer and a rag to cover the mould. give them a firm whack and they will pop back in place. or just pop them off and paint them every 6 months.

Back to top Go down

Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds).. Empty Re: Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds)..

Post by highwaymenace 2/2/2010, 11:23 am

Scott ( shagginwagon82 ) will set you on the right path as Van said Powder coating..
highwaymenace
highwaymenace

http://www.highwaymenace.com

Back to top Go down

Having probs with peeling paint (windscreen surrounds).. Empty paint no stick

Post by Mans Ruin 2/2/2010, 3:09 pm

try sanding them again, then use etch primer as it grips onto bare metal, then use normal primer, top coat, and a satin clear wouldnt hurt to protect it.
Rick
Mans Ruin
Mans Ruin

Back to top Go down

Post by Odd_One_Out 2/2/2010, 7:40 pm

Yeah they were etch-primered and yeah they`re a real bugger to get off and on...

I`ll try the powder coating this time, hopefully it`s the last time.
Odd_One_Out
Odd_One_Out

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/2/2010, 9:22 am

Most of the time the paint will flake due to poor surface preparation. you need fine scratches in the metal for the paint to Key too. Etch primer will create a chemical bond and the fine scratches create the mechanical bond. Correct application of 2 pac paint is almost as durable as powder coating.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down