Vanning Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shoutbox
Latest topics
» Show us your Van
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! Empty9/2/2016, 1:20 pm by Moorza

» Squaw in the modern age of Vanning
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! Empty9/2/2016, 1:15 pm by Moorza

» Fire Truck roof spoiler
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! Empty6/11/2014, 10:22 am by VANTOM

» CAR SHOW AT BOWRAL NSW
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! Empty25/10/2014, 4:45 am by VANTOM

» A van only magazine needed? Are you interested?
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! Empty1/9/2014, 9:31 am by vanner065

» October 19th
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! Empty14/8/2014, 3:44 pm by petrolhead

» Fathers Day Hot Rod Show 2014
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! Empty13/8/2014, 2:13 pm by petrolhead

» hsv front to a HJ
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! Empty26/7/2014, 7:02 am by chrisHQvan

» REGO PLATES
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! Empty1/7/2014, 2:18 pm by petrolhead

Affiliates
free forum

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE!

+8
alien8
mazdragon
Shagginwagon82
pano
Odd_One_Out
Vannin
highwaymenace
lozzie
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! Empty Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE!

Post by lozzie 3/1/2010, 4:35 pm

Hey everyone,

New to this forum as I found it browsing the net. I am in the process of buying a panel van and want to ask a few questions, hope thats okay!

Now the hj panel van has ALWAYS been my dream ride and now its my time to have one Smile A friend of mine's boss who works in the spray painting business is re conditioning his panny and I have decided to buy it.

At the moment its stripped and they are painting it a custom metallic purple for me. Paint job with labour is around $9 k on its own, so im pretty pleased with the deal!

Some questions:

Its a 6 Cylinder 202, I wanted to know if you have any advice for me regarding a TQ20 Camshaft? Whats the round about price for these and what work is involved? My mate is putting on brand new extractors and its having a few other things done too.

The interior is being fully ripped up and brand new carpet and satin black finish on the surface.

He says he wants to put a black satin finish on the outer areas including the front guard, door handles and trim. But I am unsure as to how it will look? If those areas are black I will have no chrome and if I got chrome wheels it would look odd yeh?

At the moment she is all sanded back and hasen't even got the undercoat of paint yet.

The reason I ask about the TQ20 is because I want it to sound nice and maybe have a little more power. I will be getting a 308 in the future but until then.....

I currently drive a VS II statesman i have had her for 6 yrs and I am sad to sell her to get the panny but now I have my 2nd dream car for 6 yrs I want to sell up and get the panny I have always dreamed of since YR 8 lol which was a while back

Sorry for crapping on, but yeh I am not the most knowledgeable person on working cars Smile

Cheers guys

Love Loz Smile
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! Empty Re: Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE!

Post by lozzie 4/1/2010, 1:16 am

14 views and no replies lol damn
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! Empty Re: Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE!

Post by highwaymenace 4/1/2010, 2:50 am

Hi Loz,

i'm sure someone will help you soon, just need the right one to get on here to help you.

cheers & welcome
Daz
highwaymenace
highwaymenace

http://www.highwaymenace.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vannin 4/1/2010, 3:28 am

As to the look, each have their own views as to what looks good & what doesn't....... This is where Photoshop can be you friend.
or Paw thru old issues of Van Wheels, Custom Van & Trucks, see what has been done, what does & doesn't look good.

TQ20's not sure, sounds like an old school grind, if you going Dual fuel or LPG a nice gas cam with low down torque (rated for towing)
We all tend to get a little carried away with what we haul in the rear (specially on Long Runs! LOL).

Get involved with a Van Club close to you (or as close as you can), many members will have extensive library's of mag's & photo's, get round to car & van shows............

As for 308'ing the van........ If your looking to travel in it (we just did Melb to Broken Hill) a 6cyl can be you hip pockets friend, they do warm up really well, plenty power, sound and the dress up gear is everywhere.......

Big Kev from Darwin Has a Aqua 6cyl HQ Van (pictured in Long Run) it's got a tough sounding 6, with plenty of power to play when the need arises.

What you have is a blank canvas, to do with what suits you, build it the way you want, not the way others want you to build it.......

Most Important thing is Build it and Use it, If ya got it get it out. Nothing sucks more than having a sweet ride & hiding it in a garage, only to come out for shows.
Vannin
Vannin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/1/2010, 6:18 am

TQ20 is an old skool ( Sig Erson) cam but still available, why not try something really different like a VL turbo 6 in your van, Easy convertion and go like stink but still get unreal fuel economy, my experience with Holden 6 motors are that a 202 uses almost as much to run as a 253, if you go the VL engine way i have a mate who does wiring looms which are just plug and drive, Cheers Andrew.

Back to top Go down

Post by Odd_One_Out 4/1/2010, 9:26 am

I reckon save your coin for your V8 upgrade `cause it sounds like you`re gonna go that way anyway...

With the right exhaust and if you find a good running 308 it will sound sweet as...

Like that other fella said... Get it out and drive it Very Happy

Remember to always sit a bit below the speed limit when you`re out cruisin` around with that thumpin` 308 `cause more people will see you looking and sounding cool Very Happy
Odd_One_Out
Odd_One_Out

Back to top Go down

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! Empty thanksssss

Post by lozzie 4/1/2010, 11:23 am

Haha hey thanks guys.

Well yes dont worry it's pretty much going to be my daily drive! My bf has a ute which I can use if I dont want to take my van out for some reason.

Yes there is alot to think about when customising my van...Its hard because I really want some input onto what you guys think as you know your shit hey..Its going to be metalic purple with heaps of metalic in it and its going to be deep purple in colour what would a front bumper in the same purple as my car with a black middle insert (kinda gts style) ???? and the back two bumpers on the corners the same with the small black insert? Really worried about this .... Dont know if I should go chrome or not?!

Yeh not sure when we are getting the 308 but for now I just wanted to spend a lil on making it sound a bit tough and i heard the tq20 cam can do the job on the cheaper side for around $100 !!

Im in Melbourne so if anyone can help me that would be great!

As for the fuel side of things she is duel fuel, getting a brand new stainless steel gas take .... Ive never had a car on gas before...

I will be driving her all the time not letting it waste away in the garage!

Smile So pleaseeeeeeeee ANY ideas!!!!

Im paying $8500 for her, you think thats reasonable...she is windowless too Smile))

CHEEEEERS GUYS XO

lozzzzzzzzzza
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by highwaymenace 4/1/2010, 11:29 am

i like your idea for the colour coded bumpers & the back grill, the would lend itself to being able to go a purple & black or reverse colouring on the inside.

ans as you have said you have a blank canvas to go smooth or wild with.

good luck with it all.

Cheers
Daz
highwaymenace
highwaymenace

Back to top Go down

Post by pano 4/1/2010, 11:36 am

ummm i dont think im much help but iv seen a few vans with the bars painted it looks good most of the time Cool
y not paint em as it wouldnt be hard to put a set of chrome ones on later .
ps chicks with vans now thats awesome affraid
pano
pano

Back to top Go down

Post by Odd_One_Out 4/1/2010, 12:41 pm

OK,

I`m not a big fan purple but you seem to stuck on it so I`ll be looking a deep purple monaro colour from that era...

I`d be losing the front clip and gaurds and go a HQ single headlight or Stato front with HQ GTS gaurds (sort of defeats the purpose of having a HJ but anyway...)

I`d stay well away from the colour coded bumpers when going purple!!!

I`d be going the full HQ SS blackouts with that colour and the interior should be black, black and more black (including the engine bay!)... Why? Because if you ever want to do a colour change... What goes with black? Everything!

As I was saying... don`t worry about the six, save your coin for the eight...

That`s my two cents that you asked for Very Happy
Odd_One_Out
Odd_One_Out

Back to top Go down

Post by Shagginwagon82 4/1/2010, 1:05 pm

Hey Lozzie,

Sorry Odds, but I reckon the purple and black done right would look pretty ace.
Go a satin black Sandman paint job over the purple- shadowing and HQ-J stripes would look smashing!!
I definatley agree on the colour coded bars though. I'd rather go chrome or get a powder coater or spray painter to do the bars Shadow Chrome.... Fat Chrome Wheels with Blacked out centres......

As for a hot 202- talk to Wizard. He has a beautiful blue Qie with a 202- sounds nice.

Cheers
Shagginwagon82
Shagginwagon82
Shagginwagon82

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 4/1/2010, 1:16 pm

Hey cheers for that I like your input about what I should do...I was a bit weird about going the full purple on the bumper aswell...Is that what your saying? Dont paint that purple?

Well just so you guys get a better picture of what Im dealing with here is a photo of my van ...

Oh by the way the interior is going to black, black and more black Very Happy

[img]Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! IMG_0633[/img]
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 4/1/2010, 1:22 pm

[img]Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! IMG_0626[/img]

And another
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by highwaymenace 4/1/2010, 1:26 pm

looking very straight. can wait to see it finished.
highwaymenace
highwaymenace

Back to top Go down

Post by Shagginwagon82 4/1/2010, 1:29 pm

Sweet Van Loz,
I love the name Lozzie- that's why I named my daughter lauren...
Sorry, side tracked.
Personally I think the purple bars would be overkill.
But $8,500 for that is Awesome!!
Shagginwagon82
Shagginwagon82

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 4/1/2010, 1:31 pm

[img]Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! IMG_0627[/img]

and another one Smile))))
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/1/2010, 1:37 pm

Shagginwagon82 wrote:get a powder coater or spray painter to do the bars Shadow Chrome....

Do you have a pic to show what they look like at all Scott?

Back to top Go down

Post by Shagginwagon82 4/1/2010, 1:38 pm

same finish as the new GTS rims.
Shagginwagon82
Shagginwagon82

Back to top Go down

Post by Shagginwagon82 4/1/2010, 1:40 pm

I'll try and get some shots of my new Shadow Chrome....
Shagginwagon82
Shagginwagon82

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 4/1/2010, 1:42 pm

No worries, thanks mate.

Does anyone have a pic of Van 74 i think it is, it was pictured with Jade somewhere at a show and it was dark coloured with colour coded bumper bars? At least Lozzie can get an idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vannin 4/1/2010, 2:29 pm

A Melbourne Girl, with a Van......... Gotta love that!!!!

Just what Melbourne needs, more Van Girls......

Hook up with Diamond Valley Vanners, Wastelands or South Coast (that's what you called it Daz???)
Not to forget the VCV, Van Council of Victoria....

http://www.vanning.org.au/

Wastelands Rock....... Check our Broken Hill (Long Run) in Cruise & Events!
Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! DSC00428
Vannin
Vannin

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 4/1/2010, 3:26 pm

Sweet thanks guys for all your input. its just a little hard for me because im so overwhelmed with the fact i am getting a custom painted van with the little extras i want its rad as...Its all new too me as I have never owned an older car, I have only ever had the VS statesman..6 yrs it did me well and i will be so sad to see her go, but i have something bigger and better waiting for me to give some TLC...

Yes i would LOVE to see this shadow chrome and also if you have any photos of bumpers painted same as car with a colour insert please post here as I have to let my mate know soon so he knows what to do when it comes to painting it.

I like the idea of the gts guards but at the moment i will wait i just want to get the basic body for my girl that i am after and all your ideas and input is helping alot...

The purple is a deep purple with alot of sparkle to it, it has shimmers of red and blue in it in the sun as we sprayed samples to see what i liked...I know you guys prob not into that but i am a chick and purple is my fav colour lol and i reckon it will suit me and my personality.

I hope to get some more feedback as im really enjoying it

I want to make the right choice

cheeers

Ahah yeh I dont know any chicks that drive a panel van, not girlie enough for them i suppose ahha

this is close to the colour but i think mine is a little deeper with more shine through it x

[img]Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! UMB8011[/img]
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by highwaymenace 5/1/2010, 12:40 am

i know these are wrong colour & models but they might give you the idea of what it may look like.

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! A_0110

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! A_0210

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! A_0310

Buying a HJ panel van and need some ADVICE! A_0410
highwaymenace
highwaymenace

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 5/1/2010, 9:41 am

Guys love how you all put in your own opinion...

Now I have printed out some photos of these to really decide what I want, it looks tough with it painted with the black insert but in a way I want to keep it look part original .. Its not a gts pvan so maybe i would rather keep it hj?

If i leave it chrome i can just get them to straighten it and polish that leaves me to do what I with it done the track? Bahh HELP!!!

Um can you please tell me do you really think this is a HJ as I thought at first it was a HX with a HJ front....im convinced its HJ

Anyways I love it and Im going down the factory tomorrow to see what else has been done and take some more photos and Ill put them up here.....

So keep trim chrome and go with it and see what I want to do hey...

cheers guys xxx
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by lozzie 5/1/2010, 9:42 am

Thanks highway Smile xx
lozzie
lozzie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next