Vanning Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Shoutbox
Latest topics
» Show us your Van
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 8 Empty9/2/2016, 1:20 pm by Moorza

» Squaw in the modern age of Vanning
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 8 Empty9/2/2016, 1:15 pm by Moorza

» Fire Truck roof spoiler
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 8 Empty6/11/2014, 10:22 am by VANTOM

» CAR SHOW AT BOWRAL NSW
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 8 Empty25/10/2014, 4:45 am by VANTOM

» A van only magazine needed? Are you interested?
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 8 Empty1/9/2014, 9:31 am by vanner065

» October 19th
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 8 Empty14/8/2014, 3:44 pm by petrolhead

» Fathers Day Hot Rod Show 2014
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 8 Empty13/8/2014, 2:13 pm by petrolhead

» hsv front to a HJ
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 8 Empty26/7/2014, 7:02 am by chrisHQvan

» REGO PLATES
Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 8 Empty1/7/2014, 2:18 pm by petrolhead

Affiliates
free forum

Technical Section or How to fix it

+22
DRKNSTRMY
Ben79hz
wizard1
ryno
DD.165
soundman
Moppo
Rusty McCrusty
highwaymenace
pano
shorts
billet
Shagginwagon82
alien8
Big Bunny
mazdragon
Tweaker
CURSED
Mexican
catbug
Admin
shaginwagin
26 posters

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 8 Empty Problems filling "H" series van

Post by Guest 14/12/2008, 11:58 am

I am having problems filling my van.
Goes to just under 3/4 no problems, then i have to just dribble it in to keep filling.
The breather hose going from the tank to the filler nozzle is clear, as well as the breather going from the tank to the canister in the engine bay is also clear.
Fortunatly it's not to critical around town (as i'm getting about 300km city and 350km country driving from 3/4 of a tank), but i'll need it to be able to fill when driving to the nats.

Back to top Go down

Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 8 Empty Re: Technical Section or How to fix it

Post by Guest 14/12/2008, 12:57 pm

how much is 3/4 of a tank. how much do you put in.

Back to top Go down

Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 8 Empty Re: Technical Section or How to fix it

Post by Guest 14/12/2008, 1:14 pm

3/4 of a tank is about 50 litres. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I can see the fuel come up to the neck and then watch it slowly go down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/12/2008, 1:37 pm

i would be putting in a 10 litre jerry can in the car and see how the fuel guage works when it runs out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 14/12/2008, 1:41 pm

I've already pulled the sender out and it's acurate.

Back to top Go down

Post by wizard1 14/12/2008, 10:56 pm

our fuel gauge dosnt work at all never has done from the day we bought it we just filled it up before we go somewhere when we went to summer nats for first time in van which was also the first time we drove after we rebuilt it the first time we filled up at home and again at cessnock worked mpg then filled again at the crossroads servo then again at goulbourn we worked out our mpg again so we just work off that now put a new sender in did not make any difference i know thats not the right way but it works for us thanx wizard
wizard1
wizard1

Back to top Go down

Post by soundman 15/12/2008, 2:25 am

Agro wrote:I am having problems filling my van.
Goes to just under 3/4 no problems, then i have to just dribble it in to keep filling.
The breather hose going from the tank to the filler nozzle is clear, as well as the breather going from the tank to the canister in the engine bay is also clear.
Fortunatly it's not to critical around town (as i'm getting about 300km city and 350km country driving from 3/4 of a tank), but i'll need it to be able to fill when driving to the nats.

Have you tried pulling the pump nozzle back during this last quarter? try puting the nozzle in only a couple of inches instead of all the way.
- Also i'd agree with wizard figure your MPG or L/KM...
soundman
soundman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15/12/2008, 10:48 am

Yep soundman i currently do that.
The only thing i was thinking of today was, that the breather going to the charcol canister, MAY need to be disconnected.
This is the only pipe coming out of the TOP of the tank.
i am currently getting about 20 m.p.g and i'm peaved about that.(As my HG ute was getting around 30 m.p.g. on the open road).

Back to top Go down

Post by soundman 15/12/2008, 11:56 am

If it's the one on top, My HZ didn't have that connected any of its life...
soundman
soundman

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon 3/1/2009, 6:26 am

Agro wrote:Yep soundman i currently do that.
The only thing i was thinking of today was, that the breather going to the charcol canister, MAY need to be disconnected.
This is the only pipe coming out of the TOP of the tank.
i am currently getting about 20 m.p.g and i'm peaved about that.(As my HG ute was getting around 30 m.p.g. on the open road).

did ya end up fixin' it??
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3/1/2009, 12:12 pm

soundman wrote:If it's the one on top, My HZ didn't have that connected any of its life...

Weren't the fumes smelt inside??

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 3/1/2009, 12:14 pm

mazdragon wrote:did ya end up fixin' it??

Haven't looked properly yet BUT i dare say i'll drop the tank to inspect the hoses.

Back to top Go down

Post by soundman 6/1/2009, 2:34 am

Agro wrote:
soundman wrote:If it's the one on top, My HZ didn't have that connected any of its life...

Weren't the fumes smelt inside??

mmm.was a bit vague... don't know what hoses came of tank or where they terminated... i do know that the under bonnet cannister definitely was disconnected on top.
soundman
soundman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 6/1/2009, 10:57 am

soundman wrote:mmm.was a bit vague...

MAYBE this was because of the petrol fumes. lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon 6/1/2009, 11:04 am

i was thinkin the same thing.... lol! lol! lol!
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by soundman 7/1/2009, 12:34 am

must be a lasting effect... haven't driven it in a few years...
soundman
soundman

Back to top Go down

Technical Section or How to fix it - Page 8 Empty fuel usage

Post by wizard1 10/1/2009, 12:16 am

here is a nice little problem we encountered on our summernats trip from the fill up at the servo at the crossroads (sydney area )where the 110kmh starts on the freeway until we filled up at dickson (act) to come home same thing we do every year we travelled 7kms less and used 20lts more car basicly hasnt changed from last time same carby (std hj stromberg) same diff same box about the same amount of crap in the back and about the same speed the only thing that we did different was to do the whole trip vortex 95 premium where last time we used either e10 or std unleaded we averaged 16l/100k from a mild 186 any suggestion thanx wizard ps we could be looking at an engine conversion around easter so we wont be going to the nats sorry
wizard1
wizard1

Back to top Go down

Post by highwaymenace 10/1/2009, 12:23 am

just use the std unleaded as you dont have computer injection and oxygen sensors to get the computer to help your air fuel mix ratio to suit the higher octain fuel.

cheers
Daz
highwaymenace
highwaymenace

http://www.highwaymenace.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wizard1 10/1/2009, 12:36 am

thanx for that and here i was thought i was doing the right thing by using the better fuel because the guy who did the head for me said to use premium thanx again wizard
wizard1
wizard1

Back to top Go down

Post by highwaymenace 10/1/2009, 12:40 am

you can use it but you would need to re-tune your motor to get the benifits from it but then you will need to run that fuel all the time.

cheers
Daz
highwaymenace
highwaymenace

Back to top Go down

Post by highwaymenace 10/1/2009, 12:57 am

highwaymenace
highwaymenace

Back to top Go down

Post by mazdragon 10/1/2009, 2:00 am

wizard1 wrote:here is a nice little problem we encountered on our summernats trip from the fill up at the servo at the crossroads (sydney area )where the 110kmh starts on the freeway until we filled up at dickson (act) to come home same thing we do every year we travelled 7kms less and used 20lts more car basicly hasnt changed from last time same carby (std hj stromberg) same diff same box about the same amount of crap in the back and about the same speed the only thing that we did different was to do the whole trip vortex 95 premium where last time we used either e10 or std unleaded we averaged 16l/100k from a mild 186 any suggestion thanx wizard ps we could be looking at an engine conversion around easter so we wont be going to the nats sorry

couple of things: 1. different size tyres make a difference too to the fuel consumption, maybe only minor but over a fair distance can make a bit of difference. secondly - WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU'RE NOT COMING TO THE NATS????? We're hangin out to see the van and you're not coming??? Apologies for "shouting" didn't mean to, but geez guys, we'd love to have you there... grovel.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
mazdragon
mazdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben79hz 10/1/2009, 9:47 am

I have had a few red 6's, and only bumped up the timing a few degrees when using high octane fuel,only to get more advance and better fuel ecconomy on the freeway,unleaded normally causes pinging in red motors,especially if they have higher than standard compression, but from watching a current affair one evening, they tested the different fuels (unleaded92,premiun 95,and high octain 98)in identical vehicles, and found the premium 95 got the best mileage.Also check the basic things like tyre pressures, good air cleaner,rear brakes properly adjusted, no sticky front brake calipers.
Ben79hz
Ben79hz

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben79hz 10/1/2009, 9:58 am

Also, did you have the front spoiler on both trips,I know the old grampa windscreen visas changed my HX from 16/100kms to about 14/100kms when removed, Im guessing the front spoiler will have a similar effect, but its ok to sacrifice fuel for looks, as there is no chance in hell I will remove my spoiler for fuel ecconomy Smile Smile Smile
Ben79hz
Ben79hz

Back to top Go down

Post by highwaymenace 10/1/2009, 9:59 am

all good points ben..
highwaymenace
highwaymenace

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum